Bacon and Chorizo Gratin – Irish Dish update
I have a confession to make my very Irish family don’t like Bacon and Cabbage – there I said it! I know I should hand back my Irish passport right now !! Yes even on Paddy’s day we will not eat the Bacon and Cabbage.
But they do like my Bacon, Chorizo Gratin with Fried Cabbage. It is a modern and relatively healthy twist on an old classic.
- Approx half a packet of Bacon – or 6/8 slice chopped into small pieces
- Half a Chorizo sausage diced into pieces
- 1 Onion chopped finely
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- Pepper and Salt for seasoning
- 1-kilo Potatoes, peeled and cut into slices approx 1/2cm thick.
- Pot of Natural Yoghurt or if you’re not behaving yourself a pot of single cream
- 5oz of Grated Cheese we use low-fat cheddar
- Olive oil
- A head of Cabbage – mine like Savoy
The How to Bit
- Preheat the oven to 200 C ( 400 F) or Gas Mark 6
- Pour the olive oil into a frying pan over a medium heat and when hot add the bacon and chorizo until crispy. Stir in the onion and garlic and thyme and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the onion is soft and golden. Keep the pan for later.
- Arrange a layer of potato slices on the bottom of an oven-proof dish season with salt and pepper then spread the cooked bacon, chorizo and onion on top of the potatoes, then pour half the natural yoghurt or cream on top, layer more potato slices on the top pour the other half of the yoghurt or cream over the top and then add the grated cheese .
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 45 mins
- Prepare the cabbage in thin slices and steam to cook for about 15 mins
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 30-35 mins until crispy and golden.
Add a small amount of olive oil to the frying pan which will mix with the bacon and chorizo oils and lightly fry off the cabbage. If you are being healthy just serve it steamed.
Printable version HERE
If you are looking for more Irish Dishes try these recipes
- Beef stew and Beef and Guinness Pie for Paddy’s day
- Salted Caramel Irish Cream Muffins For St Patrick’s day
- Irish Whiskey-Glazed Pork Chops and Colcannon
Looking For More Bacon and Chorizo dishes you can try these recipes
- Bacon, Chorizo and Spinach Easy Cheesy Pasta
- Quick and Easy Bacon and Mushroom Pasta
- Chorizo and Garden Vegetable Pasta
For all of my recipes go to my Start here page for a handy page to help you navigate my site. Or sign up for my newsletter to get access to my lastest Recipe Ebook for free as well as lots of handy hints, tips, and recipes.
THIS IMAGE IS PINNABLE ====>