Making your own DIY Seed Tape
It has been positively spring-like in my back garden of late, things are blooming and the sun is shining. And I am itching to get out and start sorting out my little veg garden. I have big plans this year that I can’t wait to share with you all 🙂 But while I am waiting I decided to get my seeds prepared, last week I started seedling and this week I made some DIY seed tape.
DIY Seed tape is incredibly handy for those fiddly little seeds you plant in rows, like carrots and spring onions and as I do Square foot gardening it makes it handy if I can make tape a foot long.
Materials needed to Make DIY Seed Tape – these are affiliate links and if you click you will be helping my little Blog
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- A teaspoon of warm water
- Mulberry paper
- Pen or Pencil
- Small paintbrush
- Airtight container for storage
The How to Bit
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and water into a thick paste
- Cut your paper towel or Mulberry paper into approx 2 inch strips
3. Use a Pencil and Ruler to mark out the spacing of the seed using the instructions for planting on the seed pack marking the dots about 1/2 inch down on the strip. Using a paintbrush add small dollops of your buy cheap avodart uk paste onto the dots you have drawn.4. Add your seeds on top of the paste and then fold the tape in half covering the seeds and press down gently. Allow your tape to dry and store in a labeled airtight container until planting. Include instructions for planting with your seeds.
I used normal paper towel for my own seeds but Mulberry paper is pretty if you want to give it as a gift to a gardener you know or a new gardener starting out. To plant out dig a furrow in where you want to place your tape. Lay the tape in the ground mist with water and cover with soil and hopefully, in a couple of weeks,you will have neat little rows of vegetables.
If you liked this DIY Seed Tape post why not try out other Garden Crafts.
- How to make a Garden Bench (or how to upcycle your Ikea bunks)
- Making your own Quick Outdoor Bunting
- Seed Saving and free printable seed packets
- Garden Projects when you‘re stuck indoor.
If you like this Garden post you can also find more at my Start Here Page. Or you can sign up for my Snapshot and Snippets newsletter and receive your FREE Vegetable Garden Planner.
Here is a Pinnable Image of DIY seed tape for you to save for later