Today is National Almond day in the USA and I am a big fan of Almonds. I love them as a snack and I love almond flour in cooking as it is gluten-free. And my favourite recipe is this Apple and Almond Cake which is gluten-free and tastes so good.
A slice of this Apple and Almond Cake with a cup of tea is the perfect afternoon treat.
Whether you are eating them by themselves, using almond milk, pasta, flour, butter, oil or meal, almonds offer a delicious flavour along with many health benefits. Almonds are one of the most heart-healthy foods on the market, packed with vitamin E, magnesium and fibre.
Five fun facts about Almonds for National Almond day
1. Almonds are mentioned several times in the New and Old Testaments. They are revered as symbols of divine approval.
2. Almonds are actually fruits, related to cherries and plums.
3. Per one-ounce serving, almonds are tied with cashews and pistachios at 160 calories, reported. They also have more calcium than any other nut, plus nearly 9 grams of monounsaturated, heart-healthy fats, 6 grams of protein and 3.5 grams of fibre per serving.
4. A key indicator of cyanide poisoning was the faint smell of roasted almonds on the victim.
5. Greek mythology tells of the beautiful princess Phyllis, who was left waiting at the altar on her wedding day by her intended, Demophon. Phyllis waited for years for him to return but finally died of a broken heart. In sympathy, the gods transformed Phyllis into an almond tree, which became a symbol of hope.
So onto the recipe which is adapted from one in an old Mrs Beeton book.
Apple and Almond Cake
- 3 Bramley eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 300g/10oz golden caster sugar
- 8 eggs
- 325g/12oz ground almonds
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 50g/2oz flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
The How to Bit
I hope you enjoy this delicious Apple and Almond cake on National Almond Day.This beautiful cake is delicious eaten as is, however, to make a dessert you could easily slice this cake when slightly warm and serve with custard, cream, or even a scoop of ice cream!
Should you have any cake left it can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.
If you enjoyed this recipe try some of my other Gluten- free cakes
- Tasty Gluten-Free Parkin Recipe
- Light and Tasty Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- Awesome Gluten Free Apple Muffins
Or sign up today Snapshot and Snippets and get a Free Gluten-free Desserts book and access to weekly exclusive recipes, organic living tips and organic gardening.
Please share this post====>