Dear Snapshots and Snippets readers I am, as some of you may know, the wrong side of 40. Back before I hit 40 I started to make changes to my lifestyle to make my older years healthier and happier. These are ten of the steps I took to be Healthier – in body and mind.
Ten easy steps to be Healthier
1. Eat more greens to be Healthier
As you may know, I grow organic vegetables.The more I grow my own organic veg, the more I love the veg and eat it.
So I now eat spinach like a rabbit which I would have avoided before. I throw it in smoothies too and prefer spinach in a salad to lettuce.
I also grew three different types of beans this year and learned to love them too. In fact, both growing and eating them has made me had a healthier outlook on life and I know exactly what is going into my body.
Leafy greens are an excellent source of folate, which can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and memory loss. Since folate contributes to the production of serotonin, it may help ward off depression and improve your mood.
Recently we have been told to eat 10 pieces of to be healthier .“Five a day is good, but more is even better,” says Dagfinn Aune of Imperial College London.
2.Drink Green Tea
I started drinking green tea when I was losing weight as it is supposed to help speed up your metabolism and burn fats. But the truth is I love the taste now, so much so I prefer it to regular tea and I never drink coffee anymore.
Since I started drinking green tea I have found out many more benefits. For example, it is supposed to stop any mental decline and is full of antioxidants. I am in fact drink a cup now.
3. Walk daily
I walk everywhere nowadays but thanks to the puppy we need to go on long walks to tire her out. Walking is a great cardio-vascular exercise working the lungs and your heart and increasing muscle strength. It also releases endorphins which make you feel happier. I find if I am particularly stressed a good long walk in the woods helps calm me down and releases some of that stress. Also, it is one exercise that costs nothing but time.
4. Sleep well
In my adult life, I have gone from barely any sleep when my girls were babies to chronic insomnia and back.
Now I like to get a good 7 hours of decent sleep.Having lived through sleep deprivation I know just how badly it can effect everything in your life from your mood to your memory to your ability to just cope.
So I make sure all phones and electrics are off and I have a routine before I go to bed to let my body know what is coming so I take medication, lock up, cleanse my face and brush my teeth make sure clothes are ready for the morning and settle down.
Just like I have a routine at night one of the first things I do in the morning it stretch. I am a big fan of yoga so I do Salute to the Sun. I adore this infoGraph – not sure order valtrex where it originated but it is adorable.
But why is stretching is important for your Health?
- Helps improve flexibility (increases your range of motion)
- Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position (because of so much time at our computers, many of us have tight chest muscles which pull the shoulders and head forward, leaving us with a hunched shoulder look and I work on a computer all day)
- Potential to decrease injury by preparing muscles for work before activity
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, thereby possibly reducing muscle soreness
- It also releases physical and mental tension.
6.Drink more water
7. Cut down on alcohol to be Healthier
8. Buy less junk food
If junk food is it is not in the house we don’t eat it. By Menu Planning I rarely by crisps and sweets or processed food. We rarely and I mean rarely eat takeaway if ever.
9. Eat more whole foods to be Healthier
10. Practice Gratitude
- Beating Depression and Learning to Live again
- How to Fit in Getting Fit
- Growing Organic Vegetables in a Small Garden.
- Healthy Meal Planning
This Image is Pinnable ===>