Beef and Guinness Stew and pie
I may be a day early but the truth is tomorrow I will be celebrating with the rest of Ireland – so won’t be posting.
So I thought I would share one last Paddy’s day dinner idea with you and you can’t get more Irish than Beef and Guinness Stew. We had this today and I thought wow this is so Irish I have to share and it is so darn good !
Beef and Guinness Stew ( in a slow cooker)
- 2lb Stewing Beef
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Potatoes – peeled and cut into cubes at least 1 per person
- Carrots peeled and chopped again – 1 per person
- Mushrooms -1 small punnet
- 1tbsp Cornflower
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup of Stout ( Guinness )
- 1tbsp Olive oil
The How to Bit :
- In a pan, fry the onions and the stewing beef in the olive oil until the beef flavour is sealed in and brown, add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a jug mix the cornflower into a paste with a little of the beef stock and then add the stout and the rest of the beef stock to make a gravy.
- Put the beef, onions, mushrooms and garlic into the slow cooker, add the carrots and the cubed potato and pour over the stout gravy.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 5- 6 hours on low – this is great for putting on before you head out to the parade in the morning and coming home to a warm meal after. Serve with Crusty Bread.
Beef and Stout Pie
The great thing about this recipe is, if you leave out the potatoes and cook the night before,you can put the beef and stout mixture into pie dishes and top with pre-made puff pastry and an egg wash and cook for 30-45 minutes and you have Beef and Stout Pie – serve with Mash Potatoes and Kale.
Two dishes from basically the same recipe 🙂
Printable Version available HERE
Happy St Patrick’s Day folks
If you liked this St Patrick’s day recipe check out my other recipes below
- Salted Caramel Irish Cream Muffins For St Patrick’s day
- Irish Whiskey Glazed Pork Chops and Colcannon
- Bacon and Chorizo Gratin-Irish Dish Update
You can now find all my recipes on my Recipe Page. Or you can sign up for my Snapshot and snippets Newsletter and receive a copy of my Latest Recipe book.
THIS IMAGE CAN BE SAVED FOR LATER