I have a few tips on how we survive the Summer.
- Everyone awake by 10am latest. I do this by bring them a drink in bed. Bless them! They think I am being nice but I am secretly being their alarm clock.
- I want that one load of laundry done a day – check out my laundry post here. I put it on every morning and clothes must be put in the laundry basket every night NOT the floor.
- Menu Planning is done on a Monday so everyone knows what is happening food wise that week. Even bar-be-cues need planning.
* Anyone wondering why we are having lobster on Sunday – it is Father’s day after all 🙂
- Have pre-made snacks made up in the fridge and the cupboard to make life easier. It means the kids can grab and go it saves your kitchen being messed up when they inevitably raid the fridge. Favourites include home-made muffins, bags of pre-popped popcorn, chopped carrot and apple, chunks of cheese, Nuts and home-made trail mix.
- Give each kid at least one chore to be done that day. Everyone pitching in means more time for fun, even the smallest kid can pick up stuff or wipe a surface. Yes they may not do it to your usual standards of cleaning but it is the thought that counts.
- Have a rule that all play-dates, sleepovers and activities must be agreed 24 hours in advance. Spur of the moment is fun but trust me a whole summer of it will have you exhausted.You surprising your kids is one thing them surprising you is definitely another !!
- All going out must be pre-arranged.
- Phones must be charged before http://www.ourhealthissues.com/product/soma/ they go and brought with them for their safety.
- Curfews must be respected and if you will be late, ring the minute you know and have a bloody good reason.
- Lifts to and from places must be pre-arranged.
- Friends are not allowed in the house if I am not here except for one ( trusted friend)
- Blackout binds are a godsend – get them if you can. When my kids were little I invested in a couple of pairs, best thing I ever did in summer.
- Maintain an evening wind down routine, when my mine were little – it was the Tea, the Bath, the Bed. And even now with teenagers dinner is at a standard time every night so everyone knows when to be home and 10 o’clock is onwards is quiet time in the house.
- Bug repellent
- a little first aid kit with plasters,Waspeze, tweezers
- picnic blanket
- plastic plates and cups
- a couple of waterproof ponchos, just in case, it is Ireland after all !
- rubbish bag. I am a big fan of nappy bags, not just for nappies they are great for storing wet socks and clothes, sick bags and they smell nice.
- wipes and a towel
- And a Frisbee usually, not sure where it is though someone must have moved it.
Fill it with snacks and drinks a change of socks and pants for the little ones and you are ready for the off.
As for the dreaded “Mum I am BORED !!” Anyone that comes out with it is today this is the answer
For more Activities with Kids or Summer posts check out these posts
- 10 Low-cost Activities to help you have Awesome Autumn
- Ten Spooky activities for kids this Halloween
- Sick of Summer itches ? Just Zap it !
- Things you can make from a Summer Garden
Have a wonderful Summer everyone. Let me know if you have any ideas on how to survive the Summer. Do you have any favourite summer tips or ways of keeping kids from the dreaded Boredom ?