I can’t believe I missed Chinese New year it has been a crazy week. When I realised today was National Cherry Pie day in the States and I had a perfect recipe I was so happy.
The History Behind Cherry Pie Day
So here is the history behind it -As a young boy, George Washington made the Cherry tree popular, with his famous quote “I can not tell a lie, I chopped down the Cherry tree.” As George Washington’s Birthday and President’s Day in February. Appropriately, its traditional to bake cherry pies in honor of the occasion.
EASY CHERRY PIE
Takes 55 minutes to make, plus chilling
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150g chilled unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 500g cherries, stoned ( we cheated and used a bag of frozen fruit)
- 1 tbsp milk, for brushing
THE HOW TO BIT
- Put the flour, butter and 75g golden caster sugar into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add the egg yolk and 2-3 tablespoons cold water. Pulse until the mixture comes together to form a ball. Turn out, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour, remaining golden caster sugar and cinnamon together, then gently toss with the cherries in a bowl. Put a baking sheet into the oven and preheat it to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7.
- Grease a 23cm pie dish – ideally one made of enamel or metal. Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the dish. Trim the edges, valtrex buy pile the cherry mixture into the centre and spoon over 4 tablespoons water. Brush the pastry edges with water.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the fruit, making a hole in the centre. Press the edges to seal, trim off the excess pastry and crimp the edges with your forefinger and thumb.
- Brush the pie with milk and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Put the pie on the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until the pastry is pale-golden. Serve with cream or custard.PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE
Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend this would be perfect after Sunday Dinner which is when I plan on making it.
For More Pie Recipes
You can find a link to my recipes on my Start Here Page or you can sign up for the Snapshot and Snippets Newsletter to get exclusive access to my new Recipe Ebook
This Image is Pinnable ====>