St Patrick day is nearly upon us and well it wouldn’t be right not to have a recipe for it on an Irish blog luckily I have a Chocolate Guinness Cake recipe passed down to me that I can share – sure St Patrick’s day wouldn’t be St Patrick’s day without a Guinness or two
This cake is very rich and chocolatey. The Guinness makes it full flavoured
Chocolate Guinness Cake
- 250ml Guinness beer
- 250g butter
- 100g cup cocoa powder
- 400g caster sugar
- 140ml Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
For the frosting:
- 200g good-quality white chocolate
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 225g cream cheese
- 225g icing sugar – sifted
THE HOW TO BIT
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F and butter and line a 23cm (9″) tin.
- Melt the butter into the Guinness in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in the cocoa and sugar and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Beat the greek yoghurt with the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl until combined, then add to the Guinness mixture.
- Whisk in the flour and bicarb until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for an hour. The middle of the cake may still be slightly wet when you take the cake out, but it will firm up as it cools down.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin as it is quite a damp cake and could collapse.
To make the frosting,
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl placed on top of a saucepan filled with a little water boiling over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a bowl and beat until fluffy and combined.
- Mix in the melted white chocolate and then gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until you have a smooth, spreadable mixture.
- To assemble the cake, place it on a cake stand and spread with frosting. Throw on some green sprinkles if you feel the need!
I love this with a cup of tea myself.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you want more St Patrick’s day recipes try these
- Irish Whiskey-Glazed Pork Chops and Colcannon
- Salted Caramel Irish Cream Muffins For St Patrick’s day
- Beef stew and Beef and Guinness Pie for Paddy’s day
- Bacon and Chorizo Gratin – Irish Dish Update
You can find all my recipes on Snapshot and snippets here – Snapshot and Snippets Recipes. You can also sign up today and get my FREE recipe Ebook and access to exclusive recipes and organic living tips weekly.
Of feel free to share this recipe ====>