Lentils are a high-protein, high-fibre member of the legume family. Like a mini version of a bean or peas, lentils grow in pods and come in red, brown, black, and green varieties. You can grow Lentils in your garden and I am sharing how to this Weekend. But now I am sharing this Tasty Lentil Sweet potato Curry. Vegetarian, low in cost and low in fat this is a tasty dish to satisfy a curry craving.
Why Lentils are good for you
- Lentils are an excellent natural source of folate and manganese.
- They are an economical source of protein.
- Evidence suggests they protect heart health.
- Lentils are an easy-to-prepare, versatile, and nutritious ingredient.
Both Sweet Potatoes and Lentils are on Special offer this week in Lidl – Lentils are 89c a bag and Sweet potatoes are 49c so not only is this dish tasty and healthy but it is a budget dish too.
Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry Recipe
A tasty vegetarian curry with cheap ingredients makes the perfect warming curry
2 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, crushed
700g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 carrots, thickly sliced
2 parsnip, thickly sliced
2 tbsp curry paste or powder
1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
100g red lentils
a small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
low-fat yoghurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
- Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so.
- Top with yoghurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.
Looking for more Tasty and Healthy recipes try these delicious dishes
- Gluten-free Salmon and Spinach Lasagna
- Fabulous Gluten free Kale and Mushroom Pasta
- Lower-fat Kinder Bueno Cheesecake
- Tasty but Low-Calorie Slow-cooker Beef Stroganoff
Or Sign up today for the Snapshot and Snippets weekly newsletter with tasty recipes and gardening tips and get your Free copy of my Gluten- free Recipe book
If you enjoyed this post please feel free to share ===>