As part of Meatless Meal week, I have been sharing my favourite Meals with no meat. We love this tasty Root Vegetable Gratin with its white wine sauce it makes a great Meatless Sunday Dinner. And as the Root Vegetable Gratin is not made with cream it is low in fat.
You can also mix up your root vegetables you can use Carrots, Turnips, sweet potatoes, parsnips. To change it up a bit you could add some Butternut Squash. The great thing about growing carrots and other vegetables in the Snapshot and Snippets Organic Vegetable garden is we can make tasty dinners like this from the garden.
Root Vegetable Gratin
- A small knob of butter
- Any root vegetables e.g. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede etc.
- 1 onion (white or red)
- 1 clove of garlic.
- 1tbsp of a chopped wintery herb, a combination of rosemary and sage works well.#
- Half a glass of white wine. (optional)
- 175ml of vegetable stock.
- Some grated Parmesan to finish.
- Salt and Pepper.
The How to Bit
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Take a medium size, ovenproof dish and rub some of the butter inside to prevent the final dish sticking.
- Thinly slice you root vegetables, onion, and garlic. Try using a food processor with a slicer attachment or a mandolin slicer
- Build up your first layer of vegetables and onion in the bottom of the buttered dish. Once your first layer is complete, sprinkle some of your garlic and herbs on top of the layer. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add another layer of vegetable and onion and repeat as above. Keep repeating this process till you have run out of vegetables or the dish is almost full to the top.
- Slowly pour you wine and stock into the filled dish. Wait until the liquid settles before adding more. You don’t want to have your vegetables swimming in liquid so when you can see the liquid about halfway up the dish, stop pouring.
Sprinkle your grated parmesan over the top layer, season well and if you have any spare butter, put a few small pieces over the top to help it go golden when cooking.
Carefully put your dish into the oven for about 10 mins or until golden brown. Check with a knife if you’re unsure.
- Really Cheesy Gluten free Cauliflower Cheese
- Quick Vegetarian Rogan Josh
- Vegan Butternut Squash and Spinach Korma with Quorn
This Image is Pinnable ====>